tag in your template:

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Memories

We went out for a drive today, after going to the library. Wheat harvest has started, and Isaiah loves to watch the combines (especially the John Deere ones!). There is nothing as pretty, to my eyes, as a full field of hard red winter wheat waving in the wind against a brilliant blue Kansas sky… So many generations of my family were farmers; I think maybe it’s just in my blood… As a small child, I was just sure that I was going to marry a farmer…LOL

While at the library helping Isaiah pick out some books he can read on his own, I came across a lot of books that I read when I was a kid, out of that same library. There is a small table and chairs; the chair seats are about 6-7” off the floor… Tiny chairs… and I can remember sitting in them, reading… There is something to be said for staying in your hometown. Lauren was a fourth generation graduate from this high school… How often does that happen any more?

Today is the approximate birthday of Isaiah’s cat, Gracie. He is waiting for me to make cupcakes to celebrate said cat’s day – I supposed I should get to it…LOL

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Gracie. My Matilda was 10 on Memorial day, Figgy will be 10 on 4th of July. The other two have non-holiday birthdays.
Hometowns are good for some things. They remind us from whence we came, and they usually hold most of our relatives.
I love libraries. As a teenager, I had my most favorite job in our county library, then I did a semester as a library aide in High School. Did you know you have to have a degree now to work in a library? Jeez...

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah, another thing. I knew if I didn't move, I WOULD end up marrying a farmer. That's all there were around where I grew up. I grew up on fruit farms; grapes, grapes, cherries, plums. Worked at farms most of my teenage years; apples, asparagras, peaches, strawberries. I'm from the 'fruit belt'! HA! Bet you couldn't tell THAT huh?
;o)

3:28 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Haha... that's funny... You are fun, and maybe a bit crazy, but the least 'fruity' person I know...LOL

That reminds me - I actually saw Rick for the first time in the fruit section of the local grocery store... i was 17, he was 26... All I saw was a great Wrangler butt and long beautiful blonde hair on a man who was from SOMEWHERE ELSE! LOL.. That's all it took...

3:32 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Lauren's dog was born on the fourth of July - His name is Sparky (Lauren loved sparklers!) and will be 13!

Nothing wrong with marrying a farmer... I love the country, and growing things, and living simply... Although for the amount they get for their harvest compared to the cost of raising it, I don't know how any of them survive anymore... So many kids leave to do other things, I don't know what the world will do when we run out of farmers...
I love libraries too... No degree needed for our tiny library, but I know that's true for bigger libraries. Our library has the same head librarian that has been there for at least 40 or 50 years... It smells like the perfume she has always worn, and when she is gone the library won't be the same without her and her perfume! LOL...

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home