tag in your template:

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Hick County Shaken

About 11:30 last night, my daughter came barging into the house, all freaked out.
A girl she knew, who worked at our local little five and dime store down on main street, had been murdered.

The girl had been trying for several days to talk a co-worker out of committing suicide. He supposedly was an outpatient at the local mental health facility. (They bring mental patients from several counties to Hick county to put them in “supervised” homes so they can live on their own) He went into the store last night,while she was closing up, shot her in the face, killing her, and then shot himself.

I know to some of you this might not be a big deal, but there hasn’t been a murder in Hick County in at least 35 years. This is a big thing here.

My daughter was very freaked. I don’t think that she was close to the girl, but they knew each other, and had mutual friends.

The hardest part was that she was the single mother of a 3 year old boy. I can't imagine having to tell him that his mommy isn't even coming home again.

I just hate to hear people talk about the guy like he was evil or something. He is as much a victim as she is. Why did his psychiatric counselors not know he was this bad? Where did he get the gun? No one will ever know all the answers, but I think our mental health center is going to be answering a lot of questions.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGosh! This is terrible. I hope you got her calmed down and she is ok now. I bet there will be lots of questions now going around. I sure feel for that little child. I hope she had some other family he can go to. Gosh, I hate to hear news like this.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Lauren is fine, but there is a saddness all over town like a cloud.., Luckily, A.J. has a sister here in town who will probably keep her son...

This guy's car is still parked down on main street across from the store, crooked, taking up two parking places... I wish someone would tow it away...

7:52 AM  
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

!

I am so praying for that 3 year old boy. I can't imagine that. I think I might actually cry for him tonight.

God, this world. Sometimes... you just think you have it figured and then the pain hits you...

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home