tag in your template:

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Kansas - Mother Nature's little plot of practical jokes

"The ancient Saxons celebrated the return of spring with an uproarious festival commemorating their goddess of offspring and of springtime, Eostre (aka Eastre and Ostara). Second-century Christian missionaries encountered the tribes of the north with their pagan celebrations and attempted to convert them to Christianity. As it happened, the pagan festival of Eastre occurred at the same time of year as the Christian observance of the Resurrection of Christ. It made sense to the christian church, therefore, to alter the festival itself, to make it a Christian celebration as converts were slowly won over. The early name, Eastre, was eventually changed to its modern spelling, Easter." (rest of the story HERE)

This is the day that Pagans celebrate the return of spring, and outside my window is what is predicted to be the biggest snow storm we have had all winter. Ah, the joys of living in Kansas. I know, Nebraska got it too, but I don't live there, LOL, and besides, they are farther north.

5 Comments:

Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

Well, God just fig'red that Easter Eggs could hide easily in snow!

Oklahoma was never much better girl. 'Specially this year. My momma just called yesterday and told me about the freak-lightning storm that suddenly turned to hail and then snow, then back to rain... all within about a half hour of each other.

Nature has a sense of humor. I just know it.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Jayne said...

It snowed out here in California last week, crazy! Hang in there . . .

3:02 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

One way of looking at it in a positive way - At least I am lucky in that I have no reason to leave the house, and no need to get out in it... Wait, that doesn't sound like much of a positive...

11:02 AM  
Blogger Appletini said...

We celebrate a little differently around here just because of the climate. (I'm in rural western Canada).

For us, this is, of course, the time to celebrate the coming of spring, but we focus far more on the sun (and the lengthening of the days) than on the aspects of fertility.

You probably know this already, but I think that part of the beauty of being a pagan in being in touch with nature WHERE YOU ARE, not just according to the wheel as written in the back of an almanac by pagans in a completely different part of the world.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

That is so true... I love the fact that no matter what kind of day or week or month I am having, I can focus in on my connection to the earth and everything is exactly as it should be... My connection with nature is what keeps me from going insane...LOL
No matter what is happening in the world, the seasons will still come at the right time, one after the other... The earth goes about it's business totally ignoring what we humans are doing...

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home