tag in your template:

Thursday, March 09, 2006

I hate Barbie - That B**ch has everything...

On this day in 1959 the Barbie Doll was first introduced.
She was created by Elliot Handler, the founder of Mattel, Inc., and his wife, Ruth. The doll was named after the Handlers' daughter, Barbie. Ken is the name of the couple's son.

Ok, we all know all the feminist issues with Barbie. But you know what I really – really hate about Barbie?
All that pink.
That stupid smile and glazed look in her eyes.
The fact that girls are automatically supposed to love Barbie, and want to be Barbie.
The fact that If she were human, her measurements would translate into a thirty-nine inch chest, twenty-one inch waist, and thirty-three inch hips. How many women do you know like that?

My sister and I had Barbies.
We liked to design and make clothes for her, and decorate cardboard houses for her (I am too old to have had the dream house!) But I didn’t play much with the doll herself.

Barbie Doll becomes object of hate (BBC link)

Anti-Barbie club

Great blog entry on Barbie

"I hate pink"(love this one)

One strange Barbie

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. I had a Barbie when I was little. So did the girl next door. Her Barbie had Ken, the car AND the house. MY Barbie had GI Joe. The real deal. I think my Barbie got the better deal. I hear she dumped Ken for some surfer boy now. Sheech.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

I hate Transformers. Does that compare?


Maybe...

not...

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home