tag in your template:

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Gordon Parks dies at 93


I had always knows basically who gordon Parks was. It wasn't until I read his biography that I really understood who the man was. He has since been on my list as one of my most respected people.

"A versatile and prolific artist, Gordon Parks, Sr. warrants his status as a cultural icon. The poet, novelist, film director, and preeminent documentary and fashion photographer was born on November 30, 1912, in Fort Scott, Kansas, the youngest of fifteen children. Parks saw no reason to stay in Kansas after the death of his mother and moved to St. Paul, Minnesota, at age sixteen to live with his sister.
After a disagreement with his brother-in-law, Parks soon found himself homeless, supporting himself by playing piano and basketball and working as a busboy. While working on a train as a waiter, Parks noticed a magazine with photographs from the Farm Security Administration (FSA). The photos by such documentary photographers as Dorothea Lange, Russell Lee and Arthur Rothstein led him to Richard Wright's 12 Million Black Voices, other photo essays about poverty and racism, and the social and artistic voice he had been seeking. Parks bought a used camera in 1938, deciding on a career in photography. I

n 1941, Parks received a fellowship from the Julius Rosenwald Foundation to work with Roy Stryker at the photography section of the FSA. In Washington, D.C., he trained as a photojournalist. He would work with Stryker for the next few years, producing work and honing the modernist and individualistic style he became known for by photographing small towns and industrial centers throughout America.
By the end of the 1940s, Parks was working with Life and Vogue and in that capacity did some of his most famous work. Traveling the globe and covering issues as varied as the fashion industry, poverty inBrazil, the Nation of Islam and gang violence, and eventually celebrity portraitures, Parks continued to develop and create new ways to convey meaning through his work. " (read the rest of this article HERE)

For his extensive filmography,( as actor, writer, composer, director - Including the Shaft movies) see this LINK.

It was his photography, though, that really put him on my list.
For a view of some of his photography, go HERE.
Some of my favorites:

"American Gothic", Ella Watson, 1942

"A Beggar Man", Paris, France, 1950

3 Comments:

Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

Those who can capture emotion in a picture and let the charactar of the picture move the viewer are the real artists in this world. When I see a photograph, especially from the old days where it wasn't just smiles in front of a landmark, questions come to my mind. What is that man thinking, I wonder? What is on her daily agenda, I wonder?

I love that you brought this to the surface of the blogosphere. It's such a pleasure to read about who you love and why.

:)

Oh, and thank you for my li'l icon on the right of your blog. I like the indian blanket type markings on it. So pretty! It rather reminds me of my grandmother's living room rug next to the huge fireplace. She was born a Cherokowa-Apache, something I inherited from her side, a great honor to me!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

That picture of the beggar... I have always wondered where he went home to at night... If he shared his earnings of the day with someone...
I was only too happy to put you back on my daily reads list!!
I am of Cherokee and Irish descent... Unfortunately I inherited the pale skin and reddish hair of the Irish... Tell someone I am part Cherokee and they look at me like, 'uh-huh'...LOL

11:48 PM  
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

Yeah, like, "You're just saying that 'cause you want the college money, right?"

Being a 16th Cherokowa-Apache, I have never even considered applying for any gov'ment benefits of any kind. But I'm like you, pale and red headed. I get that from my mom's French side.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home