tag in your template:

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Amazing story

I heard a man talking on television today, that said some things that I wish I would have heard when my daughter was still a teenager.
I wish my mom would have heard it when I was young. Not that she would have listened to it.

Dr. Wayne Dyer was talking about a story told by Peace Pilgrim, who was an amazing woman. She told the story about a tribe in South Africa. When someone in the village does something wrong, the put that person in the middle of the village. Everyone in the entire village stands around that person, and for hours, every person in the village takes turns telling stories about every little thing that person has ever done right, every nice thing done for someone else, every time that person has cheered someone up. Afterwards, when everyone has completely exhausted everything they can think of, there is a big celebration, where the person is ceremoniously welcomed back into the village. According to Peace, the need for this ceremony, someone actually doing something wrong, is rare.
Isn't that fabulous?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting . . I saw his series of lectures on PBS - I agree, he's an impressive man. Nice story.
. . . my other book suggestion is: Cement Garden by Ian Mcewan.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Thanks for the book suggestion... I am finding it rather hard to find the books that have been suggested to me, and the books on Time's list... One of the hazzards of living in the middle of nowhere...lol

6:23 PM  
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

I've read Dr. Dyer's work before and the man is absolutely amazing. Check his stuff out if you can, because it is very, very uplifting. Good post, A.

:D
Always

7:31 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Hey there, Amethyst,

did'ya ever hear of Precious mama Ramotswe? She is a lady detective in a Botswanan village who solves crimes in a most human way---fictional character, but you'll like her, I 'spect.

She sold her daddy's cattle to open a detective agency under a big tree. She's a wise and funny sort.

The Number One Ladies Detective Agency

Enjoyed gettin' to know you a bit.
Toodle Loo!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home