tag in your template:

Thursday, February 02, 2006

News of the day

Well, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow... Today, Imbolc, when we celebrate the returning sun, we learn there is 6 more weeks of winter.
I don't know about where you live, but we haven't really had winter yet. The majority of the last two or three months has been at least in the 40s, even 50s and 60s. That is not a normal Kansas winter, by any means.
One thing about this mild weather, we are going to be overrun with insects this spring and summer. The ground hasn't frozen long enough to kill off the insects there. I think I should read more about organic ways of insect control. Praying mantises, ladybugs, planting nasturtums and marigolds... Spraying a mix of water and ground hot peppers. I know some pest controls, but I could always learn more.

Another thing I found in the news today:

"A Colombian drug trafficking organization was readying purebred puppies as drug couriers by surgically implanting large packets of liquid heroin into their bodies to ship them to the United States, federal officials said yesterday."
Rest of story, HERE.

3 Comments:

Blogger cva-me said...

Yeah, winter has not hit here, either. We were 65 yesterday, supposed to be 70 today. They did say however, that we are in for a 'cold snap' by the end of the weekend.

I saw that story about the drugs in the dogs. Never heard of a dog being a mule before. I'm not the biggest animal lover in the world, but I certainly despise what these people did. They need to be strung up by the short and curlies. Just my thoughts... Ciao!

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugs! The mosquitos will eat me alive! Not to mention that the water temperature of the Gulf hasn't gotten below 60°, which means that it won't take as long to reach 95° as it would from 45°, as is our usual water temperature this time of year. You know what THAT means, don't ya?! Get out your hurricane panels folks, we're in for another whopper year! Oh yeah, did you hear we have a La Nina this year instead of El Nino. THAT takes the jet stream more north which means more hurricanes in the Atlantic that make it to the Gulf.
(sarcastically) I just can't wait!
:o)

12:35 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

I know that being an animal lover may be considered to be a "weak" trait by some, but I am a serious animal lover... All life is sacred. Using innocents without their own voice for evil is despicable... Animals or children...
Jules... When I worked for the newspaper, the editor made sure I went through storm spotter training, so that I could go with him chasing tornadoes to get pictures for the paper... One of the main reasons he accepted a job in south Texas was because he was tired of "tame" tornadoes, he wanted hurricanes... lol It has been so long since we even had moisture, I don't think we will have much of a storm season - we haven't had a good one in years. Long term forecasts say we probably won't get any measurable precipitation until late May...

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home