tag in your template:

Thursday, February 09, 2006

More reading....

“You have so much potential, but are you doing everything you could be to fulfill your divine destiny? It's time to get some insight into the how and why of the way you behave. Get some answers.”
That’s my horoscope for today. Interesting.
I guess it’s time I get back on track trying to figure out what I want, and who I am… It’s pretty damn hard figuring that out on my own.

“One day, some people came to the master and asked: “How can you be so happy in a world of such impermanence, where you cannot protect your loved ones from harm, illness, and death?” The master held up a glass and said, “Someone gave me this glass, and I really like this glass, It holds my water admirably and it glistens in the sunlight. One day the wind may blow it off the shelf, or my elbow may knock it from the table. I know this glass is already broken, so I enjoy it incredibly.”
Achaan Chah Subato, Theravadan meditation master

Life is beautiful. There’s a treasure in every moment – treasure you may overlook unless you are aware of the impermanence of everything. Time, they physical world, and even relationships – which we have been taught to believe are the fabric of existence – are fleeting. This is the nature of phenomena: All that begins will one day end. Achaan’s fragile glass is already shattered, but that doesn’t lessen his fun with it. That id will one day perish makes it that much more precious while it does still exist. By living with an awareness of the transient nature of this existence, our lives become that much more exquisite and beautiful. Trying to force temporary experiences to last forever causes suffering. When a relationship ends, it ends. Why resist it? When a physical possession is gone, that’s no tragedy. Didn’t you have your fun with it? Then let it go. When a loved one dies, they’re gone. So let them go. Didn’t you love them fully while they were here? Didn’t you share your joy and laughter with them? When something ends, let it go. It’s the nature of this world.
In the words of the Buddha, “All buildings end in ruin, all meetings end in separation.” Everything changes all the time. All of Zen points to that, all of Buddhism points to that, and all of yoga points to that. “
“Happy Yoga”, Steve Ross

Of all the wonderful things I have learned so far from this book, the one thing that sticks out the most is this:

"You can't get happy, you can only be happy."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

Beautiful post and good reminders! Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed catching up with reading your blog today (also loved the Nashville post) before I go back on the road. I have noticed you occasionally write that you will "never" go someplace, do something that you want. I believe the Universe delivers what we ask for, so I try not to ask for lack, limitation, never having my wishes come true . . . Happy birthday week! Yeah, I'll be 37 this year myself. Sigh. Many of my favorite people are Aquarians : )

3:00 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

I honestly wouldn't want to go anywhere with Rick... I would have to be in total control of everything, and deal with anything that went wrong (car repairs, etc.)all by myself. If I was by myself, it wouldn't bother me... But doing everything while he stands around waiting for orders just makes me more mad than anything else...I'm his wife, not his mother!
I believe that our thoughts and words creat our reality, but that is the reality with Rick...LOL

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home