tag in your template:

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Dreamin'

I saw a magazine article the other day about artists that specialize in pet portraits, and I thought, “Hey, I could do that.” Pair that with Sunsetman’s suggestion to sell homemade dog treats… Make a few hand crocheted dog sweaters and I’d have my own pet boutique… LOL

I am on a quest to find something to make at least a little money by using my creativity. I don’t want to clean toilets, and sell unleaded gas and frozen burritos ever again … I know, hundreds of thousands of people go to jobs they hate every day…. But I don’t want to be one of them. I have a lot more talent than people around here are willing to give me credit for… I won’t ever be able to use my creativity here… I need a wider, more appreciative circle of acquaintances.

(Derek and the Dominoes are singing “Bell Bottom Blues” right now on my radio… That song gets me for some reason… Which is kind of strange, considering I was 3 years old when they recorded it… LOL) Anyway…

The only job listing in the paper this week is an assistant position at the SRS. Considering they have a file with my name on it, they might not be too inclined to hire me. I can’t imagine working for them anyway. It’s like Maid Merriam going to work for the sheriff of Nottingham… LOL

I have actually always dreamed of having a used bookstore… Not one of these stores full of paperback romances, I mean really old, hardback books, in tall wooden shelves, surrounded by deep leather chairs, dusty hanging lights and that wonderful smell of old books, wood and leather. Maybe a coffee shop too…

I also would love to paint more… Even if I only make enough money to keep myself in supplies, although I have seen some of the work of other pet portrait artists, and I could do just as well and they make amazing amounts of money… I need someone who knows marketing, and how to get my talent noticed… Or maybe I just need to quit dreaming???
Actually, it was just in the last year that I learned how to dream again… It feels nice, whether my dreams ever come true or not…

(Current song: Jimmy Witherspoon, “Night life” – “Oh the night life, ain’t no good life, but it’s my life…” Doesn’t get much better than that…)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

Dreaming must be in the air . . . I just wrote a post about living the dream in your heart . . .

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGOsh Am! Before I got married, I always thought that owning a building with a used bookstore on the ground floor or maybe 2 floors and an apartment on the top floor would be JUST the job to have. Complete with some cats lounging. Exactly as you described it. In my dream, I went to estate sales and such and bought books for my store. I was someone you could call up with a request for a book, and I'd hunt around for it everywhere until I came up with it for you. Of course, this was before the internet and eBay. Some of my FAVORITE bookstores are in New Orleans. Old books piled on shelves, on the floor, everywhere! Comfy chairs and sofas to sit and read. Coffee shops weren't in vogue when I was dreaming, but that sounds like a good addition. I just had a coffee pot and a hot pot for tea in my dream. When I first moved here, we had a store called "The Haunted Bookstore" and it was exactly like our descriptions. I LOVED that store. Run by a couple of old people. It was so cool. Of course, it's long gone now, that was 25 years ago. Oh My! How time flys.
My FAVORITE job when I was in high school was when I was in a job corp for the summer and got to work at our local library. Then I worked in our school library. To me, this is the ultimate dream job. Great minds think alike don't they? We have more in common than I thought. :o)

12:13 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Jayne, maybe it has something to do with spring being around the corner...

I had the bookshop/apartment thing going in my head too... Had the whole apartment just how I wanted it to look, too...lol
My favorite job (so far) has been writing for the paper... I loved spending time in the back where back issues from the beginning of the paper in the 1880's were - My great grandfather had an entire page dedicated to his obituary - I just love old things, and I love words... I think working in a library would be great... When I was a kid, other girls played house, I played library with my grandparents' old books... I never wanted to get married, and never wanted kids... I just met Rick and got paranoid, didn't want to end up alone, so I got married... I really don't like kids, but I do love my own... I wouldn't give them up now, but i wish i would have had enough self-esteem to have stuck to my original plan... But things happen for a reason, and there must be a reason here somewhere... I'm just along for the ride, now...

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home