tag in your template:

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Bad news

Hooterville has lost it's first soldier in Iraq.
Jesse was a really great guy. He was very quiet, at least until you got to know him, and very handsome. I drew him many a Bud Light when I worked at the bar.

Jesse was in the Marines the first time he went to Iraq. Once he was out, he signed up with the National Guard. A roadside bomb killed him, sometime Monday.

I suppose we are lucky that he is the first - We have had quite a few go, but all have come back safely, until now. The thing about a town like Hooterville, or the whole of Hick county for that matter, is that no matter who it is, you know them, their siblings, their parents, and usually their grandparents too.

I can't say that I agree with the war. I can say that I support our people that are there. I think people have the right to protest the war, but not the warriors.

Jesse will be missed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear this sad news. I had my stepbrother over there for a while and am glad he's home safely.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

I'm glad he is too.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He came home with some very interesting stories tho. About all the GOOD they are doing over there. He made quite a few friends with the Iraqi's he worked with. One even took him fishing at his favorite hole, and home for some celebration they had. It was very interesting. There IS some good happening over there, even if our so-called media won't report it. But don't get me started on them! :o)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

I used to talk to a man who was stationed over there for a while... He said they all were just amazed at the way the American media skewed things...

1:14 PM  
Blogger Matthew May said...

I believe you are right, protest is part of who we are, but we need to support our troops. Which often times means we have to becareful what sort of protesting we do, since a lot of it causes demoralization which in turn hurts the troops we intend to support. :)

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home