tag in your template:

Monday, January 30, 2006

Happiness

The book I am currently reading has a very interesting theory about happiness. The book is "Happy Yoga", by Steve Ross. He points out that when we want something, getting it is not what makes us happy, it is the end of wanting that is happiness. Getting what you want isn't what makes you happy, being free from want is. If getting that new car was the key to happiness, you would be happy forever after you get it - but you aren't. It might make you happy for a while, but sooner or later you will be unhappy again, and there will be something else that you think will make you happy if you get it... It just keeps on going like that.
True happiness is the lack of want.

I try very hard to stay in that position of just being happy existing, of not wanting what I don't have. I usually do very well, materialistically anyway. Material things have never been that important to me, having a great relationship that goes beyond friendship is something I struggle with, though. I have had a relationship with someone that was exactly what I wanted... How do I settle for anything less now? Most days I do very well... Just focusing on the next thing, and not letting my thoughts go too deep. That seems to work well for me. I try to stay very busy.

Anyway, I really am enjoying this book, I have learned a few things. Right now I am in the chapters about diet, and what this book says about dairy products, and meat is enough to make me want to be a vegan! Not that it would be much of a change for me, all my favorite foods are veggies anyway.
There are some more great things in this book I plan to share eventually, when I get around to writing about them.

Maybe, in addition to my reading, I should incorporate the idea of a "Gratitude Journal", as suggested by Jayne. She says 5 things a day... I think I would run out of things pretty fast that way, maybe 2 or 3 a day? What would I be grateful for today...

I am grateful for:
1. The weather... 55 degrees, only a few clouds, and the wind is only blowing 13 miles an hour, which is almost no wind at all for this area.
2. The new/used computer I am now using that doesn't shut down all my windows every little bit like my old computer did!
3. The fact that my house plants are still alive... And seem to be thriving, believe it or not...lol

3 Comments:

Blogger twocents said...

That Jayne is just so smart. Today I'm grateful to be alive. The alternatives really suck.

And all my plants are freakin' miserable. They need spring SOON!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Jayne said...

I have enjoyed catching up with you now that I'm back from vacation! That book looks good, I need to check it out and add it to my happiness research . . . I do feel much better when I focus on gratitude ( I forget way too often) I liked your post on energy - have you ever heard of Reiki? It changed my life (not to be too dramatic!) the ability to draw the universal life energy (chi) from everywhere, for healing. Very cool.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

I have heard of Reiki... I just haven't found a good source book to learn more about it...
Steve Ross is an amazing man, and this book really proves it.... He actually has a yoga show on Oxygen Network early on weekday mornings (5 am here) that I love...He has spent years all over the world with famous (and not so famous) Yogis.
I have a really green thumb when it comes to gardening... I have had yards where neighbors would come to me for gardening advice, but houseplants? Not so good...lol

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home