tag in your template:

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Today in History...

On this day in 1843 Charles Dickens' "A Christmal Carol" was first published.

"Dickens was born in 1812 and attended school in Portsmouth. His father, a clerk in the navy pay office, was thrown into debtors' prison in 1824, and 12-year-old Charles was sent to work in a factory. The miserable treatment of children and the institution of the debtors' jail became topics of several of Dickens' novels."

Christmas wouldn't be the same without this story, and my favorite film version is "Scrooge", the 1951 version starring Alastair Sim. Yes, there are older versions, 1938, and a British version from 1935, (not to mention the one surviving silent version lsting 17 minutes from 1910), but that is my favorite one. A man with a name like Alastair Sim was just meant to be Scrooge, don't you think?


The first airplane flew December 17, 1903.

"Near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, Orville and Wilbur Wright make the first successful flight in history of a self-propelled, heavier-than-air aircraft. Orville piloted the gasoline-powered, propeller-driven biplane, which stayed aloft for 12 seconds and covered 120 feet on its inaugural flight."

I have never been on an airplane, and I really don't think I ever will be. Some people were born to travel, and see the world, but I don't think that is in my "life path" this time around. Not that I wouldn't love to see Paris, and London, and Greece...Germany, and Cuba... Even Russia, but I just don't see it in my current future. I know those things are out there, and I see the pictures and hear the stories and can be satisfied with that, I do seem to be becoming a "homebody." A certain someone and I had big dreams about the places he wanted to show me, and places we would see together, but without him, that dream seems to have lost it's shine.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gaye said...

Dream Big girl... you're still very young... plenty of time for those dreams... don't rule them out. Today the grocery store; BUT tomorrow THE WORLD--believe it!!!!
No excuses...

11:03 AM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Dreams are things that come true for other people.
Thinking of anything past tomorrow only makes me unhappy with my life as it is, and it is fine.
I am a simple person, and I can be content with making the most of my own little world every day... No regrets.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

I think I read some of those other stories too... Knowing his life, no wonder they were dark! Just like Poe, his life gave him the ability to pass on those feelings...

11:20 AM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Even at his worst, he let others live how they wanted to.
You know, Wal Mart is having trouble right now with people disliking their "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". I think it is very arrogant of some christians to think their holiday is the only one that counts. Kwanza, Chanukkah (Chanukah? Hanukkah?), Yule...
Christians need to realize that "Freedom of Religion" means freedom of ALL religions, and that Americans are free to choose any religion, and celebrate it.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Matthew May said...

Love Dickens, he had a lot of influence on how we celebrate christmas now.

I just did a set of four posts on each of the spirits of Christmas, featured in A Christmas Carol, your welcome to check it out. http://e-m-p-a-t-h-y.blogspot.com

Great post! :)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Nice posts, Matt...

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home