tag in your template:

Friday, October 28, 2005

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there....

When Sir was here in Hooterville for the first time, he was shocked to find that we still have a whistle that blows at 7 am, noon, 1 pm, and 6 pm. He had better not ever go to the small town I was working in for the last couple of days.
At 9 am the first morning I woke up there, I heard church bells tolling... then they struck 9 times... Then the started playing a hymn.... and they continued, playing the entire hymn.... Seems that they go off like that at least 5 times a day... Playing a different hymn, the entire thing.... Talk about being a bit annoying...
I am surprised that no one has ever complained about it... What would happen if someone of a different faith wanted to live there? It's presumptuous of them to assume that everyone that lives or stays in their town is going to be Christian.

The first night I was there, I had two drunk cowboys come in. Not exactly a rare occurance in Western Kansas. These two, though, were a bit different. They were out riding around, getting drunk... On their horse.
Both cowboys, on one horse... Drunk as skunks... I just had to shake my head... Absolutely amazing...

If I ever hear anyone complain about how small Hooterville is, or that it is boring, I am going to suggest they go to this little town for a few days... It makes Hooterville look like a metropolis. I must have mopped that floor 6 times in 8 hours, just for something to do.

There was a little old lady there who hangs out at the store at night because her husband is a night watchman at a feed yard, and she can't sleep. She will tell you all about being in a coma after losing her son, and coming out of it with no memory of her prior life, and how that was god's way of helping her cope with the death of her son. Told me she could see immediately the love for people in my face, and that she was sure that we would meet again in heaven... I didn't have the heart to tell her I wasn't even sure that I belived in her god or her heaven... Or argue with her that not all nice, caring people are christians. She left a card on my windshield when I left, telling me how lucky she was to have been able to get to know me, even just a little bit. *sigh* I tend to attract people like that...lol I have been told I am too nice. Someone has to be, though, right? To make up for the over-abundance of rude people in the world?

3 Comments:

Blogger Gaye said...

In my hometown a whistle still blows every Saturday at noon. In Helltown where I just left, organ music played at noon--I don't remember hearing it in the last few years though; hmmm.. The music was beautiful; be it Christian or not; the sound of the organ permeated through the little town; it was sort of like a gift...

3:20 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Here in Sin City (Las Vegas), about all you're going to hear is the sound of someone's stereo too loud next to you in traffic.

I spent much of my young life living on Air Force bases - every day at Noon they played the national anthem.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Amethyst Rising said...

Not only easier to live with, but I think that believing that there is a reason for everything makes me more aware of the lessons in things, more aware of what is happening around me.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home